Friday, January 16, 2009

Race is tricky tricky

What an intense subject we barely dipped our toes into yesterday! There is so much controversy, and even just conversation about race. I can honestly say that if it weren't for my sociology classes I wouldn't even know what the word really meant. I think that's true for most people. We usually get "race" and "ethnicity" confused with each other. Which makes sense to me being that they are used interchangeably (and incorrectly) all the time.

Sometimes I wish I could sit down with a person of a different race, or even ethnicity, and ask them all my questions. I am one of the most curious people I know! But if I were to do so (and even mentioning that I have a desire to do so) is taboo. I can't show that I acknowledge that we are different? Like we talked about yesterday, different, but equal. I understand that we are different, but I don't equate that difference automatically with us being unequal. I was brought up one way, with certain expectations, and learned what I was told to learn. Why wouldn't I want to hear someone else's story. You are apart of my society now, so why can't I learn about you, and hear what you have to say? Can't we just have a conversation? I feel like these conversations are needed and necessary for the change we all desire to see. The change we seek out.

The world as we know it isn't going to be flipped on its head because we elected our first non-white President. We are miraculous fixing these problems simply because we voted for change. We have to help. We have a tendency to just sit by and ride the coattails of others when we could be playing an active role in our lives and the change we want to see.

It starts with just one descending voice right? It starts with one person standing up, doesn't it?

I will continue to think about what little, or big, things I can do to help be the change I want to see.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you are right that in electing our first non-white president will have a positive effect in reducing racism. However, I think that it is going to take more than having a minority in office in order to reduce racism. Presidency is far removed from most people's lives. Obama will undoubtedly be looking at institutions and reducing inequality with in them. I don't think that his presidency will stop people from making racist comments, treating minorities differently, or holding stereotypes. These are forms of racism interwoven in our society that we need to actively fight withing our social groups.

    ReplyDelete