Friday, January 9, 2009

Normal?

The discussion in class yesterday was really interesting for me. I think I took a lot away from it and at the same time was left with a few lingering thoughts.

I kept thinking about how our actions/behaviors are driven by our desire to fit in. We don't want to stand out for things that we have deemed "bad". I think about this especially when a new class starts. I felt myself holding myself back from answering questions even though I knew the answer because I didn't want the instant label of being a "nerd" or a "know-it-all" or "brown noser". When people label us like that it feels like it hinders our possibility at expanding our social network. If people classify me as being one thing, a lot of the time (but not always) they stick to that idea and won't get over it to see who the person really is. It takes something like 23 more meetings after the initial one to change your first impression of someone. That's so many! And in a class as short as J-term I don't really feel like I have the time to do that.

I was also thinking about how guys are seen as "the man" when they have a lot of sex and girls are "sluts". It seems like this topic has been beaten to death and sometimes for me I get really tired of hearing about it. Someone in the class said that men are "sewing their wild oats". It makes sense if you think about it from an evolutionary perspective. Of course they are trying to get their stuff out there, they want to live on even after they die. And what a way to do it! It's like giving yourself immortality.


My brain is kind of fried for now, but I like the direction the discussion has taken our class. I hope it continues to let us wade through these tougher issues that we usually just brush away.

1 comment:

  1. I wish you had said something about being tired of the example of men "sowing their oats" - you have a really good point. There is a chance that all of us in the class are so familiar with the topic that we could have that discussion with our brains closed.

    Hmmm, but if males have a biological imperative to reproduce, then so do females - so why does it play out differently. Not saying I want to really engage in this socio-evolutionary topic, but it does give an opportunity for launching into a discussion founded on the understanding that culture channels all biological processes.

    Glad you are in the class - and my bet is that this group is not as judgemental as you fear they/we may be! Relax with the self-censorship - we need your voice!

    ReplyDelete