Thursday, January 22, 2009

Being Rich

These readings on classism were really hard for me. They spewed a whole bunch of numbers and facts and me, pointed out the differences between years, men and women, upper 20th percentile and etc etc... but I want to know why?

Why are the rich, "the rich"? I understand that there is a certain amount of people who are entertainers and gain money that way, and that there are people who are born into families who have always had a wealthy name... but what else? What other reasons are there for people being so rich and continuing to be so rich even though we aren't doing so hot as a whole. Look at the economy. People keep telling me that it's not so bad and we don't need to worry, but we do!

Especially us young folks. (Not saying older people don't have to worry, because they do) but if this is the trend right when we are starting to get out on our own and get jobs and start families... it frankly scares me.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I am scared as well. Because we are taught to later get a good career, be successful, in order to have a "good life". I think it's going to be a while til things in the economy will get better, and that measures in our own lives should be taken to prepare.

    ReplyDelete