Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I Shaved My Head



I was thinking (in a sort of day dreaming sort of way) yesterday about appearance and what it means in our society.

In late September 2007 I decided to shave my head. I can't even begin to tell you what a life changing experience that was. I don't want it to sound cliche, but it really did open my eyes to a lot of different things.

Numerous times I was confused for a boy, I can remember two times specifically at the grocery store where I was with my boyfriend and the clerk said, "You gentlemen have a nice day". It shocked me! Just because I had no hair, the clerk assumed I was a male, even though I have, what I and many others classify as very feminine features.

Another memorable moment during this journey was the first time I went back home and visited my parents. Even though I went home with my boyfriend my mom still asked me, "So what... you're a lesbian now?" and it took several heated conversations that initially started out with me defending my heterosexuality and later turning into me realizing that it was more than that. I began getting offended that in her mind a shaved head automatically meant I was homosexual. It really disturbed me. To this day she still doesn't understand.

I don't know if I really had a point to make in this post, but just had me thinking about all the experiences I had being bald and all the assumptions people made based on that experience.

2 comments:

  1. Wow... I bet tha really was a crazy experiance. I don't know what your reasoning behind doing it was but I think you are brave for doing it and going against society's expecatations of image for a woman. And if it makes you feel any better, I bet my mom and family would probably react in the same way if I shaved my head. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are braver then I could ever be. I always wondered how it would feel without having to worry or deal with hair. Its something you can always tell your children or grandchildren. :)

    ReplyDelete